Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Day Three: Seeing Some of the Beauty of This Land

Today Dani, Gladys, and Pastor Joseph took us around to some of the areas of this land to show us some of the sights, to tell us about the different cities, the people, the history, and how all of this plays into the current climate of Lebanon.  Halfway through the day Jon said something to Pastor Joseph that I find very true of myself as well.  He said something to the effect that every time I begin to think that we are seeing the connections around this place and begin to understand this area, another layer of it's history and culture gets pealed back and new questions arise and new connections are revealed.

Speaking of Pastor Joseph, this is a man who has an incredible passion for this place and its people.
(Me and Pastor Joseph)
He is such a friendly man.  As we drove out of the city, he continued to enlighten us to what as been happening here.  Details he is able to give because he was here living it.  He would speak of the struggles and then of God's provision.  He spoke of questions, and then of God's guiding.  He even spoke of danger, and how God's hand had been there right there offering him protection.  I told Pastor Joseph that I (and I believe the rest of the team as well) enjoyed our talks.

One of the first areas we went to today was the site of a monastery that is centuries old.

This was the main entrance.

This is the courtyard.


The path down the cliff side to the old ruins.



This is the outside and inside of the monastery ruins.

Next we drove on to the city of Byblos to see some of the shops and castle ruins there.  All along the trip, we listened and asked questions about everything from why are there no traffic lights, to who is responsible for all the construction projects we see throughout the area.  Information on this place just pours from the people here.  They are so very eager to speak to those seeking to listen and understand.


One thing I realized that I haven't spoken about is the food.  I am not going to lie to you all, this was something I worried a little bit about, and I am so glad I was wrong.  I have had the opportunity to try Middle Eastern dishes on different occasions.  In the past, I was never able to find something that I really liked.  No more!  I still can't tell you what the names of the different items are (which means spelling them is even that much more unlikely), but here are some pictures of some of our more traditional meals while we have been in Lebanon.
Amazing food so far, just ask someone else to tell you what it is.            


As we returned to our accommodations, I was blessed to find myself on one of the lower rooftops looking out to the Mediterranean Sea over the landscape of the city just as sunset was occurring.  There are many lovely things about this place, and my words and this lens do not do it justice.

Good night. 

1 comment: